Monday, May 30, 2011

Sunday Afternoon Suprise

Who says that our cooking adventures can only be on Tuesdays? Not this gal...
Megan and I had been emailing recipes back and forth to each other, brainstorming this coming Tuesday night menu, and I had sent one for Giada's Baked Panzanella Caprese, which I've made gluten-free before (and, I think my words were, "I might just be craving it right now...").
The craving was still pretty intense on Sunday afternoon, so I showed up at Megan's house with the ingredients, and I told her we were having Italian for lunch. :)
Our ingredients:
Tomatoes, garlic, basil, cheese (the original recipe calls for fresh mozzarella; I had a bag of mixed Italian cheeses, so we used that. I think I liked it better this way than with the fresh, but use whatever makes you happy), bread, olive oil, and balsamic. Simple, easy, good.
You are most welcome to use whatever yummy bread you like; due to the fact that I'm gluten-free, we used my favorite g/f bread on the market: Udi's. Seriously, if you need to be g/f, get this bread. It's so good, even my gluten-able friends like it (shameless plug done). Oh, make sure you've got REALLY good tomatoes. I got ours at Sprouts, but if you've got some in your garden, please make this dish. Please. I'm begging you.
Slice the tomatoes thickly. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and try not to eat them all right then and there. Layer them in a single layer in a greased baking dish. Chop up a clove of garlic, sprinkle that over the tomatoes, then drizzle with two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar.
Cover the whole thing with the cheese and some basil. Then, add a layer of the bread. Drizzle liberally with olive oil, and throw the whole thing into a 350-degree oven until the bread is golden and crispy, the cheese is melty, and the tomatoes, garlic, and balsamic have gotten happy together.
Then, make another pan of the dish, as we had to. I'm pretty sure we would've made a third pan, but we ran out of cheese. :)
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment